18 June 2012

Review: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Pretties
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: May 3rd 2011
Series: Uglies #2
Source: paperback (borrowed)
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Goodreads | Amazon

Summary: Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.


Review:  This review is going to be a short one because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read Uglies, the first in the series. You can read my review of Uglies here

Pretties was actually a lot better than Uglies for me, mainly because we could dive straight into the plot without having to worry about world building. Also, I already felt so familiar with the world that Scott Westerfeld has built that it was comfortable immersing myself in it for the next few hours. This is why I love reading series!

I actually liked Tally in Pretties a lot more because she was braver and was willing to take her chances. It was exciting to read about her adventures and I felt like I could really connect with her. She was so much more complex. I also enjoyed her relationship with Zane, it felt a lot more real than her relationship with David. Not sure which ship I am on right now, tbh. 

The storyline was amazing with all the twists and even the predictable parts didn't feel old and boring. I honestly could not put the book down for more than 5 minutes without thinking about it and picking it right back up again. I was a little disappointed with the ending though. That has to happen after all she has been through? :( It just seems kind of sad. Another thing I enjoyed about Pretties was all the new characters being introduced and the addition of new elements into the story. It kept things fresh and not stale with the same old characters.

There was one thing that I really did not appreciate. THE SLANG. It really bugged the hell out of me for the first half of the book. I just didn't like how overused it was. I understand that it has to be used during Tally's POV but when it was the third-party POV, it is honestly not necessary. It just makes it so much more unbearable. 'Bubbly' was used at least twice every page, something-making was also used every chapter and EVERYTHING was Bogus. ugh just no.

Either way, the plot and pacing really made up for my annoyance with the language and I can't wait to read Specials that is just sitting on my shelf. :)

My rating:

Recommended for dystopian, adventure lovers and anyone that read Uglies! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment