13 June 2012

Review: Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Title: Timepiece
Author: Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont USA
Published: June 12th 2012
Series: Hourglass #2
Source: ebook (provided by Egmont USA via Netgalley for review)
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Goodreads | Amazon

Summary: A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...

Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?

Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.

Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

The follow-up to Hourglass, Timepiece blends the paranormal, science fiction, mystery, and suspense genres into a nonstop thrill ride where every second counts.


Review: :( I was so so so disappointed. Everything was just meh.

Emerson and Kaleb sounded the same argh! Even though I knew even before I started reading that it was going to be in Kaleb's POV, I kept forgetting even up till chapter 15 and I got really confused when it sounded like Emerson was in love with Lily. Emerson and Kaleb were 2 very different characters but they had the same narrative style. It was done poorly especially since I read Hourglass recently.

There was very little actual time traveling other than baddies popping in and out at random moments. Which was confusing, I still don't really get how it works. I felt like I was reading material for school because I had to remember all the rules and all the ways in which things work. Like rips, portals, different abilities, different characters that rarely contribute, funky technology etc. There was a lot of information dumping because Em and gang were trying to piece things together.

I couldn't relate to anyone except Lily. I honestly didn't care for anyone. Kaleb kept talking about how others felt which meant that there was close to no progress in terms of character development since all we got were one-word emotions from everyone. Kaleb didn't even talk about his own feelings. :/ 

The ending was the worst out of all the problems in the book. 
*SPOILER ALERT*
*SPOILER ALERT*
So that evil lady (forgot her name) is supposed to wholeheartedly believe in someone (Lily) who stole her cool device? And she didn't notice her precious device was missing all this time??? Wasn't she trying really hard to open it? And cool-headed Lily didn't know that she could just lie to baddie until her hot-headed boyfriend told her to?
*END OF SPOILER*

Initially I was going to give Timepiece 3.5 stars but after listing all these down, it only deserves a 2.5.
So what gave it the 2.5 stars? Timepiece was exactly like Hourglass, there really wasn't that much of a progress. The only real progress that took 300 pages is the thing about why Jack wants to go back in time (which was stupid and I couldn't relate to since he is supposedly 'rotten to his core') and the Infinityglass. I guess if you really really liked Hourglass you would probably enjoy Timepiece since its the same thing, just with a different couple. The pacing was also as good as in Hourglass. I kept turning the pages even though I wasn't really into the story. Myra McEntire just has a way with words. 

Overall it was just really boring and forgettable. I don't think I would be reading the sequel.

My rating:  
Recommended for anyone who gave Hourglass 5 stars. No point reading this esp if you were on the fence for Hourglass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment