4 May 2012

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: McElderry Books
Published:  April 14th 2009
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Source: Paperback (bought)
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Goodreads | Amazon

Summary: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare’s ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


Review: I started of this book with high hopes, for those of you who saw my IMM about a month ago would know that I bought the entire series at a book expo. That was the only fact that kept me going even after 200 pages of rubbish. It got better about mid-book, why have I been reading so many books that turn out this way? Anyway so let me just start of with the stuff I hated.

First 200 pages: BORING. Just a lot of talking, no action. For a Supernatural book you would think that there would be more action and adventure. The characters just sat around a lot discussing about this and that, revealing long kept secrets (oh horror! I hate my mother!) and having snarky conversations that didn't add anything to the plot.

Also what is with the disgusting relationship between Jace and Clary?! I am sure its going to turn out fine but eww just ewww even if it is only for the first book. Another thing I really hated was Clary. She is such a weak character and all the characters were just much more interesting than her. This may be due to the fact that she doesn't exactly have any fighting powers, plus she is always the damsel in distress. I hope this changes in City Of Ashes!

Lastly, I kept reading Valentine as Voldemort. I could tolerate the other similarities *cough*mundanes vs muggles*cough* but this one stood out way too much. The characterisation of Valentine was basically a copy of Voldy but a slightly nicer version (?)

Moving on to the things I liked,
After the first 200 odd pages: Yay less talk more action! All the other characters were pretty likable and I liked how the shadowhunters were not invincible like so many supernatural creatures these days. Also the plot twists were amazing! I didn't see them coming and it really saved the book from being totally horrible. I kind of like how there are so many characters because that means more back-stories (idk what they are called) from each of them!

I wanted to give this a 2.5 star review but I decided to give it a 3 instead since I am quite curious to know what happens after this. Its one of those books that I hate but I am not totally turned off because I have heard from people that it gets better.

My rating:  

Recommended for supernatural fans and anyone curious about the hype. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment