21 April 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Published: April 24th 2012
Series: The Selection #1 
Source: ARC

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Goodreads | Amazon

Summary: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

 
Review: This book started off hopeful and i kept waiting for the plot to pick up but nothing really happened throughout. Many people compared this to the tv reality series 'The Bachelor' and I would have to agree with that. I've also heard that a tv series adaptation of The Selection is also in the works. Personally I feel that this book would be better off as a show/movie.

The writing was a little weak, emotions didn't really seem to reach me. I just finished reading it about an hour ago and I'm already starting to forget the details of the plot...a lot of it was underdeveloped. There seem to be skips whenever the author felt that something was not important enough to contribute to the main plot. World building was redundant, the dystopian theme hardly played a part other than an excuse for Aspen to act like a jerk.
The characters were a little flat to me and the novel was too short. Little explanation was given about the rebels attacking the palace, nothing much was said about the other girls. The selection process was really silly, there wasn't much competition happening since the girls just sat, ate, chatted all day and occasionally went on dates. At least have a talent showcase, debate or something related to the royal life. The Selection made queens seem like bimbos.

With that said, I really enjoyed the parts before America was part of the selection. The love, family bonds and America's personality drew me in. Another aspect I enjoyed was probably the budding relationship between Maxon and America, this was the only thing that kept me going.

There is so much room for improvement for this novel, it had potential but the execution got worse after the first half. Overall The Selection was a good attempt at creating a new sub genre which fell short.
My rating:
Recommended to The Bachelor fans and anyone looking for a light read with cute romance.

3 comments:

  1. New follower here (found your link on Goodreads)

    I think this is a book you either love or hate, there is no way in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. I think it all depends on the expectations one has. If you expect a lot from this book (like me), you will most likely hate it.
      It is the kind of book where a few paragraphs summarizes the entire book. :(

      Delete
  2. Great review :) I'm sorry you didn't like this book :\ I am starting it today, and I can't wait to read it :) Mostly excited about the romance between America and Maxon :D Hoping it will be awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete