3 April 2012

Review: Bunheads by Sophie Flack

 
Author: Sophie Flack
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: October 10th 2011
Source: Hardcover (library)
Goodreads | Amazon


Summary: As a dancer with the ultra-prestigious Manhattan Ballet Company, nineteen-year-old Hannah Ward juggles intense rehearsals, dazzling performances and complicated backstage relationships. Up until now, Hannah has happily devoted her entire life to ballet.
But when she meets a handsome musician named Jacob, Hannah’s universe begins to change, and she must decide if she wants to compete against the other “bunheads” in the company for a star soloist spot or strike out on her own in the real world. Does she dare give up the gilded confines of the ballet for the freedoms of everyday life?

Review: Borrowed this book from the library during one of my ‘let’s borrow books with pretty book covers’ trips. How can anyone resist such a gorgeous hardcover? Moreover it looked like a brand new book up for loan! Wasn’t expecting much from this after reading the excerpt but I am glad I was wrong!
I absolutely love books that are semi-autobiographical books. I find it intriguing and I always learn so much from books like these, it really helps you develop a wider perspective on life.


What I really liked:
The first-person narration was amazing as I felt like I was Hannah and I was going through her struggles. I could really empathise with her uncertainty and struggles even though I am not even close to being a dancer. The ballet terms injected into the paragraphs made the book even more realistic and nothing was over-dramatised. The focus of the novel was solely on the struggles of a ballet career, I was glad that the romance portion of the book was there as a supplement to highlight the struggles instead of being one of those ‘i-would-die-without-you’ relationships. Hannah was discovering herself and what she really wanted out of life and as a reader it makes you reflect on your on life as well. Its kind of a ballet 101, learnt so much about it! A really relatable book for everyone and anyone!

What I did not like:
Nothing major, but it would have been nice if the characters were more developed.

My Rating:
Recommended for: Dancers and YA readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment